Thursday, April 29, 2010

The City and The City Wins Arthur C Clarke Award

China Mieville's The City and The City has won the prestigious Arthur C Clarke Award. The annual award is presented for the best science fiction novel of the year. You will recall that I reviewed the book in March of last year and it provided one of the most interesting and thought provoking reads of the year.

Mieville commented afterwards

"One of the many reasons this means so much to me is that I tried to draw on different literary inspirations than I had previously done, to write in a different voice, to channel a different kind of 'weird'. Trying to do something different was a huge pleasure and excitement, but of course there's no guarantee that you'll do a good job. To have the effort received like this means an incredible amount."

Mieville's follow up book Kraken has just been released and has made it to my TBR pile already.

No comments:

Post a Comment