Friday, February 5, 2010

Friday Book Quiz

As it's Friday a quick First Lines quiz, there are no prizes just the chance to sit with a coffee/tea and exercise the little grey cells. Name the title and author of the books from which these first lines are taken, answers on Monday.

1. riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

2. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.

3. If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth.

4. This is the saddest story I have ever heard.

5. It was a wrong number that started it, the telephone ringing three times in the dead of night, and the voice on the other end asking for someone he was not.

6. 124 was spiteful

7. It was the day my grandmother exploded.

8. It was a pleasure to burn.

9. Once upon a time, there was a woman who discovered she had turned into the wrong person.

10. It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in New York.

11. I write this sitting in the kitchen sink

12. And then say what? Say, 'Forget you're hungry, forget you got shot inna back by some racist cop--Chuck was here? Chuck come up to Harlem--

13. I see . . ." said the vampire thoughtfully, and slowly he walked across the room towards the window.

14. Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.

15. Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment