Friday, February 12, 2010

Friday Book Quiz

A large slice of virtual chocolate cake to anyone who can guess the author and titles of the books these last lines come from.

1. Are there any questions?

2. I'm so glad to be at home again

3. So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

4. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.

5. Matter of fact, I think this the youngest us ever felt.

6. I am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art. And this is the only immortality you and I may share, my Lolita.

7. After all, tomorrow is another day.

8. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.

9. Then starting home, he walked toward the trees, and under them, leaving behind him the big sky, the whisper of wind voices in the wind-bent wheat.

10. Oh, my girls, however long you may live, I never can wish you a greater happiness than this!

11. He was withered, wrinkled, and loathsome of visage. It was not till they had examined the rings that they recognized who it was.

12. There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

13. So in America when the sun goes down and I sit on the old broken-down river pier watching the long, long skies over New Jersey and sense all that raw land that rolls in one unbelievable huge bulge over to the West Coast, and all that road going, all the people dreaming in the immensity of it, and in Iowa I know by now the children must be crying in the land where they let the children cry, and tonight the stars�ll be out, and don�t you know that God is Pooh Bear? the evening star must be drooping and shedding her sparkler dims on the prairie, which is just before the coming of complete night that blesses the earth, darkens all rivers, cups the peaks and folds the final shore in, and nobody, nobody knows what�s going to happen to anybody besides the forlorn rags of growing old, I think of Dean Moriarty, I even think of Old Dean Moriarty the father we never found, I think of Dean Moriarty.

14. For a moment. he thought he heard a woman's voice...the wisdom of the ages...whispering up from the chasms of the earth.

15. O Agnes, O my soul, so may thy face be by me when I close my life indeed; so may I, when realities are melting from me like the shadows which I now dismiss, still find thee near me, pointing upward!

Happy Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment